Mohini Soodan is an illustrious figure in the realm of cybersecurity whose accolades paint a vivid picture of her prowess and leadership. As an award-winning Sr. Lead Cybersecurity Architect at Microsoft Global security Team and G100 Chairman in the USA, Mohini stands among the top 100 global leaders. Her influence reverberates internationally as a keynote speaker, researcher and security advocate. Mohini’s expertise transcends boundaries, as evidenced by her role in building Microsoft’s global security teams and her association with the prestigious National Security Team at Microsoft.
Among her notable achievements, Mohini conducted a groundbreaking case study on the Colonial Pipeline ransomware attack, offering invaluable insights to combat future cyber threats. Her contributions extend to prestigious institutions like Harvard University, where she conducted impactful research on ransomware attacks. Mohini’s passion extends beyond her professional sphere—she mentors women from non-tech backgrounds, empowering them to excel in the cybersecurity domain.
A Harvard Alumni with an executive degree in cybersecurity, Mohini is not only an advocate for women in tech but also a globe-trotter, a music enthusiast and a yoga practitioner. Her influence in the cybersecurity space resonates through her podcasts, keynote speeches and media coverage, making her a true luminary in the field.
In her impactful role, Mohini shoulders the responsibility of shaping the cybersecurity landscape for Microsoft and its clients positioned as the Sr. Lead Cybersecurity Architect at Microsoft Global security Team of the Global Security Team. With a direct focus on managing a team comprising Cloud Security Architects (CSA’s) and Customer Engineers (CE’s), she orchestrates a strategic vision for security.
Mohini manages a Team of Security Architects, Security Advisors, meticulously defining the roadmap for security. She crafts concrete architectures for Microsoft’s top global clients, emphasizing Authentication Best Practices and ensuring a secure digital environment.
Working closely with CISOs, security executives, Executive Vice Presidents at Microsoft, and Sales Heads in the Midwest, Mohini forges collaborations. She pioneers core security management, championing security, data protection, and privacy features at the foundational level.
Mohini’s leadership is evident in her approach to nurturing talent. She mentors new cloud architects, oversees the hiring process for security architects and establishes a dynamic team focused on security architecture and design solutions. Under her guidance, a new Application Security Team is born, collaborating with Global Black Belts Teams worldwide to fortify Microsoft’s security stance.
Let’s explore and engage with Mohini’s insights, experience award-winning knowledge and how she is fortifying security against evolving threats!
Bridging the Cyber Chasm
Mohini is dedicated to fortifying the digital world against evolving threats. With unwavering determination, Mohini stands as a guardian, supporting global cybersecurity initiatives for Microsoft’s top partners, enterprise Federal Organizations, CISOs, and security stakeholders. Mohini’s mission is clear, “We empower them with proper security measures.”
In her role, Mohini orchestrates essential conversations on the Future of Cybersecurity, emphasizing the importance of a robust security architecture. She champions the implementation of Zero Trust principles, offering guidance that protects individuals and businesses alike.
Through end-to-end assessments, Mohini ensures the safety of valuable assets, preventing theft and damage. Her focus on innovation is evident, “Engaging with all top executives to defend against these threats and build security strategies and new approaches to cybersecurity improvement and innovation which is powered by AI.”
Mohini’s efforts extend beyond the conventional, reaching into the realm of digital strategy. She crafts intricate security roadmaps, helping organizations globally fortify their digital states. In her hands, the future of cybersecurity is not just secure—it’s empowered.
Forging Iron Bonds
Mohini is an integral part of Microsoft’s Global Security Team where she is reshaping the approach to digital defense. Mohini’s philosophy is clear, “We guide and lead cybersecurity initiatives, partnering with CISOs and security stakeholders, designing strategies that see cybersecurity as a business risk, not just a technical concern.”
In the face of evolving threats, Mohini advocates a proactive stance, emphasizing the need for a culture of accountability, “Planning is everything, simulation exercises can help.” This approach fosters resilience, ensuring organizations can navigate the complexities of modern cyberattacks.
Mohini believes in empowering IT teams, advocating for clear expectations, robust security policies and a deep understanding of security states. “We empower them with the right Cybersecurity measures, creating a strong cybersecurity culture in protecting IT infrastructures, devices, data, network, etc.”
Collaboration is key, as Mohini works hand in hand with security executives, implementing the Zero Trust model effectively. To her, this isn’t just a job—it’s a responsibility, “We have a duty to protect the digital systems underpinning our modern society.”
Mohini is a digital guardian who advocates a transformative approach, stating, “Our top approach is the implementation of the Zero Trust Framework, where we never trust, always verify.” Guided by this principle, her team challenges assumptions, assuming breach and meticulously verifying each asset. The corporate walls may stand, but behind them, a robust verification process is at play, ensuring safety and security at every turn.
Embracing the power of technology, Mohini and her team delve deep into the digital realm, employing advanced data analysis and AI algorithms. In her words, “We use sophisticated data analysis and AI algorithms to better understand and protect against digital threats and future Cyber-criminal activity.” This isn’t just cybersecurity—it’s a proactive, intelligent defense strategy.
With a keen eye on the future, Mohini fosters an environment where trust is earned, not assumed. Every digital interaction, every piece of data, is scrutinized and fortified and it’s about empowering a safer, more resilient digital tomorrow for all.
In the landscape of cybersecurity, Mohini is a trailblazer championing transformative strategies. “We must incorporate smart Cybersecurity policies, Modernize and simplify with Zero Trust,” she asserts, urging organizations to heed this call to action. In her vision:
- Modernization through Zero Trust: Mohini emphasizes the urgent need for organizations to modernize security programs, simplifying the complex with Zero Trust principles. This approach ensures agile security, enabling swift adaptation to evolving threats.
- Alignment of Security to Business + IT: To fortify digital fortresses, Mohini advocates aligning security with business and IT. This integration ensures security becomes an inherent part of organizational processes, securing what truly matters and avoiding wasted efforts on low-value assets.
- Partnerships and Understanding: Building genuine partnerships and fostering a security-focused understanding of business priorities are pivotal. Mohini emphasizes the importance of collaboration, where security teams comprehend the nuances of future risks and align their efforts accordingly.
- Embracing Innovation: To optimize resources, embracing new security and technology innovations is crucial. Mohini advocates avoiding wasteful manual tasks and ineffective efforts, steering security teams toward impactful strategies.
- Accountability and Expertise: A key facet of success lies in distributing security risk accountability. Business owners shoulder security risks while security teams, as subject matter experts, manage and mitigate these risks effectively.
Securing Boundaries, Bridging Regulations
Mohini represents Microsoft’s unwavering commitment and asserts, “Privacy is a fundamental right and GDPR is a crucial step forward.” Microsoft, under her guidance, is championing privacy rights. Here’s how:
- Microsoft’s Commitment to GDPR: Microsoft not only believes in the essence of GDPR but also embodies it. Mohini ensures, “We are committed to our own compliance with the GDPR,” showcasing a dedication that goes beyond mere words.
- Supporting Compliance Obligations: Microsoft doesn’t just comply—it empowers others to do so too. With an array of products and resources, Mohini states, “We provide products, features, documentation, and resources to support our customers in meeting their compliance obligations under the GDPR.” It’s a partnership, a collective endeavor.
- The Zero Trust Framework: Mohini, as a proponent of the Zero Trust framework, sees it as more than just a security measure. It’s a vital component of a larger governance model. “Zero Trust serves as part of a larger governance model,” she affirms, acknowledging its role in establishing a hierarchy of requirements within organizations.
- Diverse Approaches in Compliance: Mohini recognizes the complexity of compliance. In her view, “In the compliance and regulatory space, there can be many ways to achieve the same requirement or control.” She embraces diversity in strategies, understanding that flexibility and adaptability are key.
Beyond the Firewall
Amidst the digital challenges of 2023, Mohini navigates the intricate landscape of cybersecurity with resolute determination. She reflects on the evolving threat of ransomware, noting, “Ransomware attacks are becoming more sophisticated, especially in regions like the Middle East, Africa and the UAE.” In her vision, collaboration and innovation are paramount:
- Facing Ransomware Head-On: Mohini acknowledges the harsh reality: ransomware attacks have become a critical challenge. The recent Microsoft-IDC research underscores this, revealing that organizations in the UAE and Qatar are grappling with a growing number of attacks. “It’s hardly surprising given the impact – 40 percent of UAE-based organizations forced to shut down, losing a total of $1.4 million,” she emphasizes, highlighting the urgency of the situation.
- Learning and Sharing: Mohini champions collaboration, stating, “Microsoft works with our customers and industry organizations to both share our learnings and learn from them.” This exchange of knowledge and insights creates a collective shield, fortifying organizations against the onslaught of ransomware.
- Investment in Defenses: Microsoft, under Mohini’s leadership, invests heavily in capabilities. These efforts are not just about defense—they are about empowerment. “We have heavily invested in capabilities to help organizations defeat attack techniques found in both everyday and sophisticated targeted attacks,” she affirms, indicating a proactive stance against evolving threats.
Unite or Fall
In the realm of evolving regulations, Mohini emphasizes, “To be really successful, we must have a solid cooperation with all of our varied stakeholders and practice transparency.” Microsoft Security, under her guidance, harnesses machine learning to navigate the influx of regulatory information. It’s not just about data—it’s about collaboration and openness. Through her approach, understanding complex regulations becomes not just a challenge but an opportunity for unity and progress.
Shaping Future Cloud Custodians
Mohini leads with purpose and underscores, “Communications and listening are the key to success.” Under her guidance, Microsoft fosters a nurturing atmosphere, blending technical mentorship with critical thinking. “We challenge and empower our team with solving real-world cyber-attacks,” she asserts, emphasizing the importance of hands-on problem-solving. The qualities sought in talent echo this ethos:
- Passion for Learning and Success: A dedication to continuous learning and delivering success for all.
- Problem-solving and Adaptability: Skills to tackle evolving cybersecurity threats with adaptability.
- Hunger for Learning and Teamwork: An eagerness to learn new skills and a collaborative attitude.
Keys to Every Lock
At the helm of Microsoft’s global security team, Mohini champions a unifying ethos: “Leading regular conversations, coordinated structured workflows, prioritizing inclusiveness values all our team internationally and preserves through the challenges.”
Under her guidance, technology unites international projects and inclusivity prevails. Embracing cultural diversity, Microsoft ensures training opportunities for all, fostering a culture of continuous learning and open discussions. Through Mohini’s leadership, Microsoft not only manages security but nurtures a global community where diversity thrives and knowledge knows no bounds.
Beyond Bits and Bytes
Discussing the challenges of cybersecurity Mohini notes, “End-to-end visibility, increasing cyber threats and swift response are key.” These challenges echo across every industry. Ensuring visibility into complex cloud architectures is crucial, matched only by the rise in cyber threats. Equally vital is the ability to respond swiftly and implement robust security controls. Mohini’s insights reflect a universal truth—the need for vigilance and adaptability in the face of evolving digital threats, a mission embraced by cybersecurity leaders globally.